Welcome
Welcome to DaughterNature.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Natural Birth Stories

Feel Free to share your h.ealth tips with community members. We do not allow p.rescription dru.g recommendations...

Moderator: tatiana

Are You Fearful of Having Your Baby at Home?

YES
No votes
NO
100%

Total votes : 7

Natural Birth Stories

Postby tatiana » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:42 pm

So many of us yearn to birth at home, at peace with our mate or surrounded by loved ones. However, peer pressure and fear rob moms and their children from having this natural God given experience.

This page is designed to support and encourage families who wish to birth at home and are looking for positive input from others who have had this wonderful experience.

Thank you for sharing.

Midwifery Today

Find a Midwife

http://www.naturalnews.com/035543_midwi ... ights.html

(NaturalNews) Though she has reportedly assisted in the successful delivery of more than 1,700 babies, 400 of which were born in their families' homes, 49-year-old Ireena Keeslar, a former obstetrics nurse-turned-midwife, was recently arrested on charges of practicing midwifery without a license. And at her hearing in LaGrange County, Indiana, on April 9, 2012, more than 100 supporters of all ages came out to protest her incarceration, and take a stand for women's birthing rights.

Practicing midwifery in the state of Indiana without being a licensed nurse is currently illegal, which makes it extremely difficult not only for midwives like Keeslar to practice, but also for women who prefer a more personalized and natural form of childbirth to receive the proper care of their choice. Even certified practical midwifery and direct-entry midwifery are illegal in the Hoosier State, which greatly limits women's birthing options there.

According to BlogHer.com, Keeslar was arrested in the early morning of Saturday, March 31, for no specific reason other than that authorities had found out about her practice and decided to pursue her. Keeslar's many years of experience as an obstetrics nurse are technically not enough to satisfy the legal requirements of Indiana for midwifery, even though she had never reportedly had any issues with deliveries -- to the contrary, her services were in high demand all across rural, northeastern Indiana, where home births are common and growing in popularity.

Indiana obstetricians fear, oppose midwifery because it cuts into their business
Some local obstetricians in Keeslar's area claim that midwifery can be dangerous, and that it should be regulated or illegal except under certain circumstances. But others who are more "in the know" about how midwifery actually works deny these claims, and believe that the real issue concerns profit loss.

"It's all about the money. People who have money in Parkview Hospital in LaGrange County want to do away with our midwives," said Dr. Cal Streeter, D.O., a 37-year veteran in medicine that has long-backed midwifery, to BlogHer.com. "It's as safe to have a baby at home as in the hospital. Most of the problems in obstetrics are doctors trying to hurry the process up or slow it down."

For the entire day of her arrest, Keeslar was forced to remain in a dirty prison cell, wear a prisoner's uniform that was too tight and that cut off her circulation, and be fed meals that were improper for her diabetic condition. She was even reportedly refused access to her insulin medication, until finally she was released on $10,000 bail.

On the day of Keeslar's hearing, more than 100 men, women, and children showed up on the footsteps of the LaGrange County Courthouse to protest her arrest and take a stand for birthing rights. According to Richard Muntz, Keeslar's attorney, the hearing was waived and a plea of "not guilty" was declared on Keeslar's behalf.

A few weeks earlier, 47-year-old Jeannie Stanley of nearby Albion, Ind., was arrested on the same charges of practicing midwifery without a license. That investigation reportedly led to authorities discovering Keeslar's practice as well.

"I think the arrest of midwives is a waste of taxpayer dollars," said Mary Ann Griffin, president of the Indiana Midwives Association to the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel. "Indiana should legislate and not litigate."

If you wish to support Ireena Kesslar by helping to cover her legal fees, you can send checks to:
Ireena Keeslar Legal Fund
7570 East 750 North
Howe, Indiana 46746

More resources:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/03/us/03 ... .html?_r=1
Last edited by tatiana on Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Be Kind Today
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue..." (Prov. 18:21)
http://www.biblegateway.com
http://www.daughternature.com
Note: Links attached to certain words in article are from the "freeforum.org", not from daughternature.com.
tatiana

Mia Yvonne

Postby Tania-maria » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:44 pm

For many years I yearned to have my babies at home. Some of my friends thought I was crazy and others thought it was awesome and indeed it was.

Baby Mia is our first and only child and the experience of carrying a little one and following her development is truly a miracle.

It was a surprise for us to find out we were pregnant for we were trying for 3 years. I came to a point that I just "Let go and let God" and believed that He knew my heart's desire and if it was His will it would happen.

On April 17, 2005 I started feeling sick with nausea and thought I probably had eaten something bad... I finally bought a pregnancy test and it was POSITIVE !!! Words cannot describe how excited and thankful I was.

We went to see the doctor, heard her sweet heartbeat and months later found out it was a little girl.

We named her Mia Yvonne after her grandmother, Yvonne, who passed away about 10 years ago.

Pregnancy went well, Chris Duffy was so very informative and we spoke the same language because I stay away from drugs and seek natural remedies. My dream was coming true... expecting a baby and having her at home...

December 6, 5:30am I went to the bathroom and noticed my "plug" had come out... and contractions were on their way... everything was all new and fascinating to me. I was not afraid, I had such peace in my spirit for I knew all this was God's will. I also remembered to breathe with contractions as a wave... and ride it and not fight it.

Chris arrived in the afternoon.

No hospitals, no drugs, no feeling pressured to do a C section, I was not restricted and delivered my baby safely in the comfort of my own home. Of course I had made arrangements with the hospital should an emergency ocurred, but at 8am on December 7, 2005, 27 hours later, baby Mia was born.

Baby Mia Yvonne arrived and as God planned it, she arrived on the same day as her Grandmother Yvonne's birthday.... So not only she shares her grandmother's name, but also her birthdate. How about that?!
Thank you for your interest in http://www.DaughterNature.com
Tania-maria

Home Birth

Postby Ana » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Thank you so much for the resources. The homebirth video above was moving and encouraging. Have not put too much thought into this for I am not ready to start a family, but today you have changed that complacency. I will start researching more so not to be too overwhelmed when the time comes...

Thanks again.

:wink:
Have a great day!
Ana

Home births are possible and so rewarding!

Postby msbronson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:54 am

A beautiful story-truly a miracle! and what a blessing to have your baby at home. I had two home births as well. (they were VBACs also-I had one C-section and a natural delivery at the hospital--then, after being so disgusted with the treatment I had received by the medical establishment and also after growing in knowledge that pregnancy IS NOT AN ILLNESS! -- "I decided" to trust the MOST HIGH to do what HE designed me to do naturally.)

Also, with the decision to trust the MOST HIGH, I had to take responsibility for myself, my body, my unborn children, my pregnancy, and my birthing experience (as well as that of my children). I accepted the fact that there are no guarantees that any birth will be perfect. There is no guarantee that my home births would not be without complication JUST AS there is no 100% guarantee that all hospital births are pefect and without complications. So, I prayed about it and decided that based on my previous experiences that either way, the outcome of the birth is in the hands of the ALmighty. I would still be criticized for my decision if anything happened but I accepted full responsibility for everything. People are very forgiving if a child is stillborn in the hospital. It is "God's will." But somehow, it would be misconstrued if that happened in a homebirth.

Anyway, I was criticized, ridiculed and questioned by family and doctors for the choices I made. I did have exams and a "backup" plan -"just in case" to put people at ease. But, I was confident in myself and the MOST HIGH though. I KNEW I could do it.

I had a 10 lb 4 oz boy whopper with a 2 hour labor and 16 mos later I had a 8 lb 13 oz girl also in 2 hours. I was 37 and 38 at the time. I would love to tell more of the details but maybe in another post. The beauty of it cannot be explained in a few sentences. Sooo, it can be done. (With faith and proper nutrition, it is possible... but, I'll tell you what happened to me...)

To make a long story short....when I was 42, I delivered my 5th child in the hospital by C-Section. You know why??? I did NOT maintain my vegetarian lifestyle. I ate meat! I drank water; I exercised; and, I took my birthing herbs. BUT, all that good stuff, did not help. (I thought I coud get by becaue this was my 5th birth and I wasn't eating meat every day.) Anyway,
meat/cheese (animal protein) clogs the colon and makes the labor very painful because of the proximity of the uterus to the impacted colon. And, after many hours of very painful labor (despite taking my herbs-which probably helped me tolerate it as long as I did), I succumbed to C-Section because I felt I needed it -not pressured by the doctor/nurses.

I am not planning to have any more children, but I learned my lesson. I hope this inspires you to know thyself-know thy temple and care for it....
Peace & blessings,
Judi
PS I have posted pics from the home birth:

http://www.imageposter.com/uploads/get/47333
msbronson

As our creator intended!

Postby justsayKNOW » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:52 pm

This is so enpowering! Mothers should not be afraid of delivering their babies at home, with family in a safe, comfortable environment! Mothers should not be pressured to have a C, just because labor may be taking too long, or be told she cannot do this or do that and our babies, should not be taken away and subjected to poking and probing and whatever else they do when babies are born in hospitals.

I was once told by a hospital staff that if a mother has a c section, the baby is given SUGAR WATER, until mother is ready to breastfeed!!!

I was shocked! SUGAR WATER?!!

Anyway... this thread is beautiful!
justsayKNOW

Homebirths

Postby msbronson » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 am

I watched Abby's homebirth. It brought tears to my eyes because it was beautiful. But, also, I loved seeing her husband so supportive and loving. I happen to be "African-American" (I do not like that title because Africa is a continent, but that's another story) and based on MY experiences--(I've had 5 pregnancies)--that A-A men think it weak to be loving and supportive while their women do "their womanly thing." Either out of fear or ignorance, they stay away or are cold. At least that's been my experience and observation. I know of a few exceptions though. I don't know if this applies to other races...

Back in the day, when all women were knocked unconscious while the doctor took the baby out, yes it was customary for the man to stay out of the delivery room. However, as medical practices have relaxed, it seems like White men have taken a greater interest in watching their seed manifest into this world. Yet, the "Black" man seems disinterested in this miraculous & glorious event. I've noticed that "they" don't think of it as such a big deal. Maybe they believe they will look weak if they started crying or kissing and hugging their wife, like Abby's husband. I dunno, I thought he was treating his wife with the honor she deserved for laboring to bring forth his seed. Not only should the children rise up and call the woman blessed but the father of those children should bless that woman. Black or White. What do you think? Can you relate? Got stories?
msbronson

Re: Homebirths

Postby daughternature » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:15 pm

msbronson wrote:I watched Abby's homebirth. It brought tears to my eyes because it was beautiful. But, also, I loved seeing her husband so supportive and loving. I happen to be "African-American" (I do not like that title because Africa is a continent, but that's another story) and based on MY experiences--(I've had 5 pregnancies)--that A-A men think it weak to be loving and supportive while their women do "their womanly thing." Either out of fear or ignorance, they stay away or are cold. At least that's been my experience and observation. I know of a few exceptions though. I don't know if this applies to other races...

My take on this is that it is not a race thing but a human thing.., there are moms who are distant and others who choose to abort because they don't want to be bothered. I think "fear and ignorance" plague all races and genders.

Thank you for your comments. :O)
http://HealthRoads.net - Zeal for Life Nutritional Drink. Do you know someone you can help today?
daughternature
Site Admin

Natural Birth - CPS Gets Involved

Postby daughternature » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/couple- ... 04787.html

Erica May Carey gave birth to her twins, a son and a daughter, just two months ago, but she and her husband Cleave Rengo say they have barely seen them since. That’s because Child Protective Services removed the babies, along with her 1-year-old son, from the family’s home in Bellingham, Wash., just a few days after they were born, reports King 5 News.

The parents believe it was because Carey, 29, gave birth to the babies at home, without the assistance of a midwife, and because she refused to take them to the hospital for an exam when paramedics, presumably summoned by a neighbor, showed up at her door. Also reportedly at issue is the older child’s case of eczema, and the parents’ decision to treat it with natural rather than steroid-based remedies. The parents say they made their decisions based on their Christian beliefs. And on Tuesday, according to King 5 News, they petitioned the Superior Court of Washington for custody of their children.

The case has been drawing massive attention from civil-rights supporters — with a Facebook support page set up to help raise legal funds — as well as from state politicians. “Over the past several days, hundreds of you have made your voices heard about a current case with our Child Protective Services in Washington regarding the Rengo family,” Gov. Jay Inslee noted on his official Facebook page on Thursday. “I want to thank you for your concern and willingness to be vocal.”

He continued, “I’d like to be clear: every child’s safety is our top priority in situations like these. Rumors have circulated that the removal of the Rengo children was due to breastfeeding or their home births. Those rumors are false. Breastfeeding and home birthing are not factors that would cause CPS to take children from a home. Their removal from the home was based on factors unrelated to a home birth or breastfeeding.” For now, he explained, the court has determined the “Rengo children’s safety is at risk,” but that a hearing is ongoing to decide where the three babies should be.

During the hearing this week, the state “attempted to show an unstable household marked by numerous contacts with law enforcement … within the past two years and refusal to provide medical treatment to the children,” according to the Bellingham Herald.

Yahoo Parenting could not reach Children’s Protective Services on Friday. But the office did provide the following statement to King 5 News earlier in the week: “Due to confidentiality, we cannot discuss details, except to say that a court determined a child’s safety required removal from the home. No policy of Children’s Administration would allow a child to be taken due to a home birth. A home birth is not in any way a child safety risk factor in the view of Children’s Administration.”

The story has been closely followed by Medical Kidnap, a part of Health Impact News that was started, according to its website, because of the growing number of stories like that of the Rengo family. “Due to the increasing frequency of stories being exposed regarding children taken away from their families for simply disagreeing with their doctors,” it notes, “we felt it was time to put up a completely separate website to document these tragic stories.”

Recent tales with a similar theme include that of Florida mom Sarah Markham, whose baby was briefly made a ward of the state following a disagreement she had with her pediatrician about vegan formula. Previously, there was “baby Sammy,” the Sacramento, Calif., 5-month-old who was put into protective custody after parents Anna and Alex Nikolayev left a hospital to seek a second opinion after being told their son needed open-heart surgery. Police showed up at their home a day later and, in an incident caught on home video, seized the baby. He was returned home after a week.

The most well-known of this cases is that of Justina Pelletier, in which Boston Children’s Hospital fought for and won temporary state custody of her over a disagreement with parents about a controversial medical diagnosis.

The Rengo case, the site reports, “is another medical kidnapping, according to the parents. The Rengos have chosen a wholesome, holistic lifestyle, based in their Christian faith. But CPS has stepped in to override the parents’ decisions. Now Erica and Cleave are living what they call a nightmare, separated from their children for reasons that don’t make any sense at all to them.”

After the paramedics came and suggested the twins be taken to the hospital, which the parents refused because of their fragile immune systems, the site adds, CPS social workers appeared, and were concerned about eczema on their older boy’s skin. The couple says they agreed to a trip to the pediatrician, “who said the babies were doing fine. The only concern was that the twins were slow to gain weight. At the time, Erica was trying to maintain a supply for three breastfeeding babies. She says she followed the pediatrician’s advice to supplement with formula, and the babies promptly got back on track with weight gain.”

The family’s lawyer, Stephen Pidgeon, could not be reached for comment on Friday. But according to the Bellingham Herald, the couple says that since being taken from their home, their older son has developed pneumonia and ear infections and that one of the twins now has reflux.

“There was no abuse, no neglect,” Rengo, 23, told the newspaper. “This is a misunderstanding. We just miss them dearly and want them back.”
http://HealthRoads.net - Zeal for Life Nutritional Drink. Do you know someone you can help today?
daughternature
Site Admin

Return to Alternative Medicine / Health Choices